St. Paul’s, established on June 17, 1819, is the mother church of Holy Trinity. We will have a celebration of 200 years of faith, friends, and fellowship at St. Paul’s on Saturday, June 8, 2019 between 11 am and 2 pm. Ice cream, cookies, and lemonade will be served from 12 pm—2 pm.
All are welcome to this celebration on Saturday. There will be talks in the church and tours of the historic cemetery every 20 minutes. Invited guests include Senator Tim Scott, Senator Lindsey Graham, State representative Jeff Duncan, State Senator Richard Cash, State Representative Brian White, Canon Alan Bentrup (representing Bishop Waldo), Frank Crenshaw, Mayor of Pendleton, Henry McMaster, Governor of SC, James Clements, Clemson University President, and many others.
St. Paul’s churchyard is where Thomas Clemson and his wife Anna Calhoun Clemson are buried.
Thomas Green Clemson and Anna Calhoun Clemson:
Anna Maria Calhoun was the daughter of John C. Calhoun, the 7th vice-president of the United States, twice a Senator from SC, U.S. Secretary of War, and U.S. Secretary of State. Thomas Green Clemson was an American politician and statesman, serving as an ambassador and the United States Superintendent of Agriculture. Outliving his wife and his children, Clemson drafted a final will in the mid-1880s. The will called for the establishment of a land-grant institution called “The Clemson Agricultural College of South Carolina” upon the property of the Fort Hill estate (that he had inherited from his wife, Anna.) He believed that education, especially scientific education, leads to economic prosperity. He wanted to start an agricultural college because he felt that government officials did not appreciate the importance of agricultural education.
This military college, founded in 1889, opened its doors in 1893 to 446 cadets. Clemson Agricultural College was renamed Clemson University in 1964. The town of Calhoun that bordered the campus was renamed Clemson in 1943.